Thursday, December 29, 2011

Two (3?) in One



I have been slacking lately, and so this post is going to encompass Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a big announcement. 
~Thanksgiving~
I was fortunate enough to make it home for Thanksgiving this year and spend time with my family and a few friends. I was unable to see Jamey (Hoover) Chandler this visit because her little girl Natalee was sick.  I was able to see Jenny (Miller ) Cline and her little boys, who have grown so much since the last time I saw them.  I was also able to have dinner with Amber (Cash) Morris and we were able to catch up. In addition, Kimberly (Langford) Battle was able to organize a Friendsgiving where I was able to meet up with several of my high school friends.
 Thanksgiving morning Chase and I got up early to continue our annual tradition of helping deliver Thanksgiving Suppers to those in need. We met Heather (Lloyd) Moran and our group which used to be very large was just the three of us this year.
While I was home, Chase, Dad, and I went hiking two different days. As always, it was fun and beautiful...I sure to miss MY mountains and waterfalls.  We spent several hours each day hiking at Big Branch Falls and North Fork Tye River.

We celebrated Thanksgiving Day at Aunt Teresa's house with the family.  Saturday we had my Christmas dinner with family.
Following supper, I spent the night with Tara and Zac, and got to see my favorite pup Maddie :)
Me and my Maddie Girl
During my visit to VA I was told a secret...
~Christmas Eve~
While I was back in Oregon, my family continued celebrating. I wish so much that I could've been with them, but in secret I was still part of the excitement...wait a second, I haven't told you the secret.

Thanksgiving day, before picking up Grandma from her house and going to Teresa's, Tara and Zac gave me the exciting news...Tara is pregnant!!! That being said, it was still very early (but they wanted me to know in person) so they were going to wait to tell the new grandparents and therefore I had to keep a secret. Keeping this kind of secret is harder than you think, even when I do live 3,000 miles away. I dubbed my new nephew/niece "Moe."
Zac, Tara, and Moe (only the 3 of us knew) :)
Due to a few changes in physical appearance and sickness, Tara and Zac decided to break the news a little earlier...Christmas Eve! So, before each announcement Tara called me on her cell phone and placed me on speaker phone (without anyone else knowing). It was so hard to hear the excitement and joy in everyone's voices when I wasn't there, but I'm glad I was able to share it nonetheless.

Christmas Eve I went to church, which was a little different for me because it was just a normal service and not so much a candlelight Christmas Eve service like the ones I have attended my entire life.  Following the service, Dawn and Jeff Poe invited me over for some cheese fondue and wine. It was a nice evening after and exciting day 3,000 miles away from family.

~Christmas~
Christmas morning, I woke up and called my mom and dad. I then learned they were able to get a camera for their computer so they could Skype. This is very exciting, because being so far away, it will be nice to SEE my family! After Skyping for a little bit, I hung up with them and opened my gifts (which were shipped with love from VA).  I then stayed in my pjs and went to Adam Frye's house.  I, along with Caroline (Cuseo), Patrick, Adam, and Sam had a HUGE delicious breakfast. We then watched Christmas Vacation (classic).  I went home and Skyped with the entire family, and Tara showed me her baby bump...so exciting! Later, the Poes invited me over for dinner.
           
Monday we had a dinner together with friends. Caroline and Dan Kearney were on duty Christmas day, so we had a friends Christmas the day after Christmas. Taylor was up from Humboldt, CA so he was an addition to our group here in CBay.

Overall, it was a pretty good Holiday Season...I'm looking forward to the New Year (and New Year's Eve).  I definitely missed my family (and my JO Nation family), but it was still a good Christmas.

Much Love,
LB

No comments:

Post a Comment